I am 27 years old.
2. Where do you live?
I live in Longview, Texas.
3. What do you like to do outside of work?
Outside of work, I like to spend time with my family and engage in some of my hobbies.
4. What is your job title?
Structural Engineer
5. When and why did you choose your career path?
I chose my career path toward the end of my high school years as I began to realize that I enjoyed the problem solving and the satisfaction that comes with it when the solution is found.
6. What is the name of your company or employer?
I am employed at Engineering Structures Inc.
7. Describe your primary duties and skills. [Cite your source(s)]
(https://engineering.purdue.edu/CE/Academics/Groups/Structural)
8. Describe your physical work environment.
I primarily work in an office equipped w/ CAD software and enough room to draw up large plans.
9. What is your favorite part of your job?
The favorite part of my job is the satisfaction of seeing the completed product and being able to present it to my client.
10. What is your salary? [Cite your source(s)]
People in my profession generally earn $47,878 - $94,250.
(http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Structural_Engineer/Salary)
11. Which accredited school did you first attend, and what was your degree? [Cite your source(s)]
I attended Purdue University for my BSCE. (Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering)
(https://engineering.purdue.edu/CE/Academics/Groups/Structural)
(http://www.eichleay.com/careers/jobs/Long_Beach/Engineer_Civil_Structural_LB.pdf)
12. Describe in detail three of the courses that you took which are closely related to your current career. [Cite your source(s)]
Three courses I took to prepare for my current career were advanced structural analysis, mechanical vibration, and soil-structure interaction.
(http://www.ucsd.edu/catalog/courses/SE.html)13. Describe the two courses that you considered most challenging. [Cite your source(s) and include a course listing from the appropriate degree program]
(https://engineering.purdue.edu/ENE/InfoFor/CurrentStudents/Announcements/FYEPlan)
(Interview)
14. What resources did your school have available to help you get through the most difficult courses? [Cite your source(s)]
Purdue has homework help sessions and/or you can hire a tutor.
(Interview)
15. Regarding the two most challenging courses, how did you persevere?
I asked for help, a lot of help. Some courses I even failed, but I did them right the next time around.
16. From what school(s) did you receive graduate degrees? [Cite your source(s)]
I received my graduate degree from Purdue.
(https://engineering.purdue.edu/CE/Academics/Graduate/)
17. What was the title or titles of the degree(s)? [Cite your source(s)]
I earned aster's degree in Structural Engineering.
(https://engineering.purdue.edu/CE/Academics/Graduate/)
18. What licenses do you have and what were the exams required to receive those licenses? [Cite your source(s)]
Licensees in my career include SE (Structural Engineer), PE (Professional Engineer) or EIT (Engineer In Training).
(http://www.eichleay.com/careers/jobs/Long_Beach/Engineer_Civil_Structural_LB.pdf)
19. How would your clients and co-workers describe you?
I believe they would describe me as a friendly and laid-back individual that contributes to the task at hand.
20. What do you hope to accomplish at the conclusion of your career?
I hope to have assisted in the creation of iconic structures that will be recognized and spoken of for generations.
21. Why should a high school student consider a career in your field? What important contribution(s) can they make?
The work is gratifying for both the builder and the client. We are in need of Americans that have advanced engineering skills as we are exceedingly outpaced by foreign countries such as China.
Conclusion
1. You described a career related to civil engineering and/or architecture. Is this the career field that you are currently most interested in at this stage in your life?
I do not have a specific interest in this particular area of engineering, but I am interested in the field of civil engineering. As I have recently begun to realize, however, I am already having difficulty in my high school math courses, so I would second guess a decision to vigorously pursue a career in this field because of the required strength in number crunching.
2. Rank and describe the three most important characteristics that you value in choosing a post-secondary school.
I want to attend a school that still teaches values and instills life lessons before entering the real world. I do not want to go to school to be indoctrinated, I want to attend school to learn what I need to learn for whatever career path I choose and to learn it well.
3. Rank the following in the order of importance to you regarding a career: job satisfaction; salary; making a difference; level of responsibility; titles; benefits; hours; co-workers; supervisors. How will a career in civil engineering or architecture satisfy the factor that you ranked highest?
Job Satisfaction/Making A Difference
Salary
Co-Workers
Supervisors
Benefits
Hours
Titles
Responsibility
No comments:
Post a Comment